Monday, March 19, 2018

Am I good enough? (A post told in Leslie Knope Gifs)


I'm pretty sure this is a question our students have asked us from time to time. Maybe not in those exact words, but questions similar to it. Everyone wants validation that they're doing the right thing, or that someone is appreciating the hard work they're putting into it.


Every time a student asks me a question like this, I never hesitate to say, "Of course, you're doing amazing things!" or "Keep at it: I'm so glad you're giving it your best shot!" Growth mindset over fixed!


But when it comes to me? Asking myself the same question? Especially when beginning as a new Teacher-Author on TpT, I am constantly asking myself...

Am I good enough? Is my work as a teacher good enough? Can I make great resources? There are so many others before me who have done much more and are so much more creative and hard-working than I am. Who would really want to use my stuff when there is so much more to choose from? What even is the point? Should I even try?




Am I good enough? My students are learning in my class! My students feel safe in my class. My students love coming to ELA. This is what they tell me. But still, am I really good enough to be more than "just" a classroom teacher? Are my ideas unique enough? Are they engaging enough? Do they utilize the newest resources enough? Do they hit all the right standards? Will they remember this tomorrow, a week later, a year later? Does it matter if they do? Is someone else doing this in a better way? Am I I just fooling myself by thinking I can do this too?



Am I good enough? I don't just have 100+ students to teach, I have a family to take care, too! Am I spending enough time with my young son? Am I dedicating enough time to my marriage? Am I spreading myself out too thin? Should I even be trying to attempt this right now when I already have so many responsibilities? How do those other teacher moms do it all? Could I ever be like them?



Am I good enough? Who am I asking really? What do I want to hear? Shouldn't I just try and not worry about whether or not I'm good enough? Don't I enjoy challenging myself? Don't I like sharing what works? Don't I like making connections with others?



But I remember what I tell students when they ask me if they're good enough. Yes, I am good enough. I am just starting but I can do this. I don't have a lot of extra time but I don't have to do everything all at once. I can build this slowly. I am lucky and blessed that my family supports me in trying new things.



Even I reach just one person, and even if that one person is myself, I am good enough. I can do this and I have something new to offer.

I might not be extremely successful at it, but I will give it my best shot. I will give myself the best chance by believing that I am good enough.















Follow

1 comment: